Whether you know the Bible well or are picking it up for the first time, here is a framework to support your exploration in a meaningful way and to create a space to hear God's voice in your life.
Set aside at least 10 minutes to use this tool. Go through the steps of the tool with a book of the Bible or with the scripture quotations provided in the Pause workbook. As you move through steps 1–4 select a few of the options provided. See the study resources in the right sidebar for specific ideas on how to utilize these various steps. Through each step of the process, pray. Let this be a time of connection between you and your God.
1) Scripture: What does it say?
Pray for openness to hear the Lord speaking to you as you read the passage.
- Notice and record ideas that stand out to you.
- Consider the context.
- Note any questions or confusion that you have.
- Re-read portions that are confusing to you.
2) Study: What does it mean?
Pray for the Lord’s insight and guidance as you examine the passage.
- What comes before and after this passage?
- Where does this story take place?
- What are the relationships between the people in the story?
- Study the inner meaning provided in the teachings of the New Church.
- What other Biblical passages speak to this theme?
- Use the study resources to go deeper into the passage.
3) Self: What does it mean to me?
Pray and ask the Lord to show His message for you.
- What is the overarching message that I am hearing today from this passage?
- What are the words of comfort, guidance, challenge and wisdom that the Lord is offering here?
- What situation in my life does this speak to?
- What change in my life does this challenge me to?
- Choose one phrase to commit to memory.
4) Serve: What does it call me to do?
Pray for the Lord to show you what action this passage calls you to take and for the strength, courage and commitment to do it.
- Meditate on the scripture and discover the call to action from the Lord.
- Notice the commands, directives, encouragement and support for action.
- How does this passage inform you on how to treat others?
- How does this passage speak to the attitude you carry into your day?
- How does this passage relate to others around you and to the world as a whole?
- When you gain clarity on the action the Lord is calling you to…do it!