The New Church offers a number of annual camps and retreats designed to bring people together in an environment which stimulates spiritual growth and learning.
Camps range from those geared toward families, to teen groups, to elders. While many of them take place in Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania, others are scattered around the US, and some are located in Canada and the UK.
Each event places the Lord at its center, but the focus is different depending on which camp you attend. Some are doctrinal and others target areas like relationships, teen issues, or general life skills. All incorporate fun, relaxation, and social interaction as key components of the experience.
Please see below for a list of camps and retreats offered:
Camps in Bryn Athyn, PA
- Tools 4 Life is a career and life skills camp designed to help teenagers who have completed grades 10 and 11 develop the tools and confidence needed to make choices about their path after high school. The camp offers 7 days of activities and workshops under the mentorship of skilled counselors. Visit www.ancss.org/tools or email [email protected] to learn more.
- Academy of the New Church Summer Camp is geared to students who have completed grades 8 or 9, helping to familiarize them with the Academy Secondary Schools. It also allows for New Church young people to socialize in a friendly and informal, but chaperoned environment. Visit www.ancss.org/academics-summer-anccamp to learn more.
- Glencairn Museum’s Mythology Camp is a summer camp for children ages 9 and 10. Campers spend an adventurous week learning about the mythologies of the ancient Egyptians, Native Americans, Greek and Romans, Mesopotamians and Celts. The overall theme of the summer camp is to show how the moral lessons taught in Bible stories are reflected in the myths of ancient peoples. The daily program begins with a Christian prayer and reading from scripture, followed by a fun morning of activities including cooking, crafts, activities, games and archery. In 2017 session one is June 19th through 23th, and session two is June 26th through the 30th. Hours are 8:45 am to 12:45 pm daily. $125 per child. Registration deadline: June 1st. For more information please contact Christine McDonald at 267-502-2995 or[email protected]. Glencairn’s website can be visited at www.glencairnmuseum.org.
Camps around the US
- Laurel Family Camp is a summer church camp with activities, worship, and instruction based on the Lord’s Word and the Writings of Emanuel Swedenborg. The focus of this camp is to draw people together and build a true sense of spiritual community. Several sessions (one week each) are held in Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania, in July and August of each year. Visit www.laurelcamp.org for more information and registration forms.
- Jacob’s Creek Family Camp is a summer church camp held in the mountains of Western Pennsylvania. Besides daily worship, the camp includes instruction and activities revolving around the Lord’s Word and the Heavenly Doctrine as revealed through Emanuel Swedenborg. The focus of this camp is to assist participants in building a strong foundation of doctrinal understanding for spiritual growth. Visit jacobscreekcamp.alotspace.com for more information. Or visit their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/JacobsCreekFamilyCamp
- Aspen Camp is a church camp for teenagers between ages 13 and 18, sponsored by The New Church of Boulder Valley. The camp takes place in the beautiful Rocky Mountains of Colorado. The campers participate in interactive workshops, worship and prayer, small group exercises, outdoor activities, and music and fun with friends. Contact The New Church of Boulder Valley for more information. 303-443-9220 [email protected].
- Rocky Mountain Retreat is an annual church retreat weekend in Estes Park, Colorado. The retreat serves families, couples, singles, children and grandparents. The camp aims to provide a fun and relaxing atmosphere in which participants are able to make active progress on their spiritual path. The sense of community strengthens as people worship, learn, and play together. Contact The New Church of Boulder Valley for more information. 303-443-9220 [email protected].
- Arizona Mountain Family Camp is a church camp open to all, located in the mountains of Southeastern Arizona. The four days feature activities, worship, and instruction based on teachings from Lord’s Word and the Writings. A beautiful setting and comfortable lodgings make this an ideal summertime getaway with a deep spiritual focus. Please visit sunrisechapel.org/get_involved/summer_camp.shtml for more information.
- Boynton Beach Retreat is an inspirational, educational and social conference for adults who would enjoy spending four days exploring various areas of interest from a New Church viewpoint. The Retreat takes place in Florida each year in late January in an attractive facility where the speakers, both ministers and lay men and women, give classes on a doctrinal study or their area of expertise. For more information, contact: Director Bob Brickman at: [email protected]
- New Church of Boulder Valley Women’s Retreat is an annual weekend away for women of all ages. Through fellowship, worship, workshops, small groups, activities and nurturing food, women are rejuvenated and renewed. For more information contact The New Church of Boulder Valley 303-443-9220.
Canada, the UK, and Europe
- Maple Leaf Academy is a teen church camp in Palgrave, Ontario in Canada. The campers are mentored towards spiritual growth in an environment filled with music, worship, prayer, and wholesome fun. There’s plenty of social interaction ranging from small group exercises to communal activities. Visit their website at www.maplecamp.com or contact [email protected] to learn more.
- British Academy Summer School is a church camp for teens and young adults in Warwickshire, UK. The camp allows participants to interact with other spiritually-minded young people in a relaxed and fun environment. Days at BASS are characterized by worship, learning, sports, creative activities, and outings to places of interest. Please visit https://newchurch.org.uk/?page_id=373 to download application forms.
- Scandinavian Family Weekend is an annual event hosted by the Copenhagen, Jonkoping and Stockholm groups, typically in May. The weekend includes activities for all age groups, including stimulating instruction, debate and social activities. Activities will predominantly be held in a Nordic language, but all are welcome to attend. Contact: